Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Guaranteed Inheritance


Jonathan here. It’s a drizzly Monday in North Olmsted and chilly too, at least it feels that way after the record-breaking heat we’ve had in the last week. Though the air is cool, my heart is not. It’s been a wonderful weekend of fellowship with Phil and Sandy Dufrin, friends from the ten months Megan and I spent at the Pastor’s College. Darren has asked me to share a few thoughts on the message Phil gave on Sunday morning. I’m grateful for the chance to reflect back on the preaching of God’s Word. Phil’s message from I Peter 1 was strong and offered a clear challenge to abandon the false hopes and deceptive guarantees of the world and to put all of our trust in the “living hope...an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading...”

Phil made three great points from the text. First, we have assurance of a living hope. This is not a hope that is still alive, as in, I’m hoping I will pass the test, or, I’m hoping my kids will turn out okay, or, I’m hoping that my car won’t break down. This is not hope in a situation, but hope in a person--and this person is alive. Peter writes: “He has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead...” Our hope is living because Jesus is alive. And since he has already overcome death in his resurrection, this is the one hope that can never die (even if every earthly hope does). I can’t help but ask myself, am I placing my hope in the right place? Where am I seeking “peace of mind?” Is it in the approval of other people? (Their opinions of me will change) Is it in my abilities? (There’s always someone more gifted). Is it in financial security? (the recession taught us all can be lost in an instant). I think we all hope in something, the question is, what are we hoping in? For youth it may be going off to college? For others it may be getting a better job or retirement or a ring on the finger? But all these hopes will ultimately die (at least when we do), but there is one hope that never will. Where are you placing your hope? Where are you seeking peace of mind? Or, perhaps a little easier, what is stealing your peace of mind? If it is taking, it’s probably because you were looking for it there. As we place our hope in the right place, our “peace” will be harder and harder to steal.

Secondly, Phil noted that we have assurance of a perfect inheritance. He illustrated this with a story from his own life. Without digging into the details, essentially he was going to receive an inheritance from his grandfather, but never did. It was taken by an individual who wasn’t even listed in the will. The contrast was obvious. Unlike Phil’s experience with an earthly inheritance, our inheritance in heaven is being “kept.” It is not going anywhere. No one can take it, not even the finest lawyers. We cannot lose it like we lose an object. It is “kept in heaven” for us. With my record of losing things around the house, I’m so grateful for this. Not only do I lose my keys, wallet and cell phone, but I often lose my way. I’m so thankful those who are saved cannot lose this inheritance that is kept for them. Do you take comfort in this? Does this bring a smile to your face and lighten the load on your shoulders? It should. Especially when we realize that not only is this inheritance kept safe for us, it is preserved for us. Imagine having a package placed in the world’s best safe. It wouldn’t matter how incredible the safe was if the content of the package was perishable. This inheritance is not the deli meat that spoils after a few days. It is not the sunlight that fades at the end of the day. It is “imperishable…and unfading.” It will be as glorious then as it is today. Earthly circumstances will always change like the rising and setting sun, but Christian’s can find hope in something unchanging. What difference does this make in your life during times of suffering and hardship? How does this change your perspective? Perhaps joy in the midst of the daily-grind is more possible than you thought.

Third, Phil noted that our inheritance is guarded through faith. Peter writes that this inheritance is kept for those who “by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.” Not only is this inheritance guarded for us, but WE are being guarded by God for this inheritance, and we are being guarded through faith. It is faith that God uses to keep us until we see him face to face. What a reminder to resist the natural drift into unbelief. It is an invitation to trust God and to utilize the means that he has given us to preserve and strengthen our faith— Christian fellowship and his word (among many others). One of the best tools to strengthen faith is meditating on God’s word. It’s there that we see God’s character. Bible story after Bible story recounts his faithfulness to men and women throughout history—he’s trustworthy! He always fulfills his promises! With so many accounts of his character, it’s no wonder “faith comes by hearing” and, dare I say, reading as well. So, we need his Word to fuel our faith. How’s your faith doing these days? Are you trusting in yourself or in God, the one who guards you? Are you taking time to fuel your trust in him? I’m reminded of my frequent trips to Shell to fill up my gas tank? My soul needs fuel too and its not even $2.81 a gallon. I’m so grateful that I can go to God’s word each day and allow the Lord to “guard” me with faith fueled by his word. Don’t run from your Shepherd; allow him to guard you with his Word. I hope Phil’s message from I Peter did just that…